My Experience of Studying Jane Austen' s Sense and Sensibility
My Experience of Studying Jane Austen' s Sense and Sensibility
September 2, 2026
• Introduction:-
"Sense and sensibility" is one of the best novel written by jane Austen. Jane Austen wrote this novel in romantic age. This novel was published in 1811. She reflects many themes and reality in her novel.
Jane Austen
Jane Austen(1775-1817) is one of the greatest English Novelist of Romantic era. She is a famous for writing realistic novels about love, marriage, family life, and Middle Class society. Novels combines humor, mortality, and the understanding of human nature. Her famous novels like Pride and Prejudice (1813), Sense and Sensibility (1811), Mansfield Park (1814), and Persuasion. Though she wrote only few novels, but still they are considered as Masterpiece.
• About Character :
There are two major characters in these novel:Elinor and Marianne, and also many serval character are there. Elinor is sensible and lives in reality and hide her felling whereas Marianne is sensible and lives in fiction and she express her feeling and emotion. John Deshwood, stepbrother of Elinor and Marianne and Husband of Fanny. Fanny is a sister in law of the sister. She is very selfish jealous and only concern about wealth and social status. Edward, fanny's brother, he is kind and gentle person. He alao fall love with Elinor even he was already enageged. Mrs. Jennigs is a talkative and she like to gossip. Sir John Middleton son in law of mrs. Jennigs and he provide Barton cottage to Deshwood sisters. Colonel Brandon is mature and loyal person and eventually fall in love with Marianne. Willoughby is charming and attractive, but he betrayed Marianne and hurt her deeply. He was not a loyal or sincere person. Lucy Steel selfish and fiance of Edward.
• My Experience of Studying Sence and sensibility
When I first started studying Jane Austen’s Sense and Sensibility, I thought it would be a difficult and old-fashioned novel. The language and social customs were new to me. But after reading and discussing it, I became interested in the story and its characters.
I especially liked the two sisters, Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Elinor is calm, practical, and sensible, while Marianne is emotional, passionate, and open about her feelings. I found their differences very interesting. Elinor taught me the importance of patience and self-control, while Marianne taught me that emotions are natural but should be handled with maturity.
The themes of love, marriage, money, family, and society interested me the most. I understood that marriage in Austen’s time was not only about love but was also connected with money and social position. This helped me understand how different society was in the past.
The novel also taught me that we should not judge people too quickly. People may have feelings and problems that we cannot see. I also learned that a good life needs a balance between sense and sensibility, or reason and emotion.
My understanding of the novel changed as I studied it. At first, I saw it mainly as a love story. Later, I understood that it is also about human behaviour, social pressure, and personal growth.
Overall, I enjoyed studying Sense and Sensibility. Although it is an old novel, its ideas are still relevant today because people still experience love, family problems, social expectations, and emotional struggles. The novel helped me understand both literature and human nature better.
Citation / Acknowledgement
Austen, Jane. Sense and Sensibility. 1811.
Class notes and study materials.
Literary reference materials used for understanding the novel.
AI acknowledgement: ChatGPT was used to help organize and simplify the language of this blog. The ideas are based on my study and understanding of the novel.
Add one personal reading moment
Make my opening more engaging
Add a friendly blog-style closing
•Conclusion
Sense and Sensibility are novel concepts that are seen being represented in the modern world. In which characteristics like greed for money, infidelity in relationships, selfishness, etc. can be seen in modern individuals.
Ackonwledgment:
• Use google translate